icon_attach icon_calendar icon_campaign icon_close icon_doc icon_document icon_eat icon_files icon_group icon_hiking icon_hour icon_image icon_label LIVE icon_loadingicon_lodgingicon_main-click icon_nature icon_ski icon_smileys icon_speaker icon_sport icon_train icon_video icon_warning arrow flag sun thunder rain night actualite_1 roll boussole inscription Map
disruption ->
AFFLUENCE
COURSE MONTREUX - LES ROCHERS-DE-NAYE
DIMANCHE 03 JUILLET FORTE AFFLUENCE COURSE MONTREUX - ROCHERS-DE-NAYE
Interruption
Vevey - Blonay
Interruption totale pour cause de travaux, du lundi 04 juillet 2022 au samedi matin 23 juillet 2022 à 05h00
Interruption
Gstaad - Zweisimmen
Travaux Gstaad - Zweisimmen, nuits lundi/mardi 04/05 juillet et mardi/mercredi 05/06 juillet 2022 de 20h02 (Zw), 20h25 (Gst) jusqu'à 23h57
AFFLUENCE
PASSAGE TOUR DE FRANCE
DIMANCHE 10 JUILLET FORTE AFFLUENCE PASSAGE DU TOUR DE FRANCE
Railway status
Weather ->
Montreux
partly sunny, thick passing clouds
20° C
Lenk
partly sunny, thick passing clouds
13° C
Gstaad
partly sunny, thick passing clouds
14° C
History
The history of the Montreux-Bernese Oberland Railway!

From the good old days to today’s innovation!

The great railway adventure of MOB began in 1901 with the opening of a first section between Montreux and Zweisimmen. In 1905, the 63 kilometres of the entire route were now accessible and the new section up to Lenk was finished in 1912. This was the first line of its size to be electrified, and this authentic first connection of the current GoldenPass Line, which links Montreux to Lucerne via Interlaken, therefore required all the creative genius of the builders of the time, which would mark the history and success of MOB.

Following its opening, the popularity of this line quickly spread beyond the borders of Switzerland and attracted a large number of tourists, in particular Anglo-Saxons. The quality of the rolling stock and the high level of passenger comfort were important factors in its approval.

In 1931, the Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits and major European express trains decided to travel daily on this high-quality line. At the end of 1933, these cars were unfortunately withdrawn from regular service following the world economic crisis. However, financial support from the public authorities and the army would allow major route renovations, as well as the acquisition of lighter rolling stock after the Second World War. Also, the new federal law on the railways of 1957 meant that the company was able to claim 12 million Swiss francs for technical improvements.

Thanks to this, by 1973, the MOB had acquired 4 articulated railcars and 15 passenger carriages, and modernised its infrastructure. A new programme of 6.5 million Swiss francs led to the continued development with two additional railcars and a new substation in Rougemont.

Finally, an investment of 9 million Swiss francs on the share capital of the company itself made it possible to complete the work programme. The company has also purchased equipment, brought the old Belle Époque vehicles into service, improved signage, renovated buildings and constructed a panoramic carriage, all improvements which have contributed to its success today, for customers to enjoy on a daily basis.